Sunday, July 26, 2015

Jacob's Before-I-Die Message

The other day I was out geocaching with my family and I came across a "Before-I-Die" wall. For anyone not familiar with what it is; it's a chalk wall where anyone can leave a message starting with the phrase "Before I die I want to....". Call it a community bucket-list of hopes and dreams. Here's a picture of my sister and I in front of the wall. 


I have always wanted to make a difference; to leave a lasting mark on the world and be remembered for helping others. I have one life and it would be a waste to only think of myself. In the past few weeks, I've been reminded that no one knows how long we will be here for. My illnesses remind me daily of this fact. One of the lasting impacts I want to make is on behalf of other children who, like me, need to spend a lot of time at the hospital receiving day-long medical treatments. 

Jacob's Healing Rooms is about helping the emotional and psychological sides of illness. We intend to take the current outpatient day treatment rooms and make them true holisitic places of healing. Every patient treatment chair will be equipped with a Wi-Fi enabled tablet to provide access to the internet as well as to act as a source of entertainment. The physical environment will be refreshed with fresh paint and relaxing light covers. Sensory machines (machines that produce lots of bubbles with floating fish and soothing lights), will be placed in each treatment room. I believe that these changes will help to make treatment day a much improved experience for everyone who needs to visit and help to promote healing. 

Here's a quick message from me. Many apologies for the sound and picture quality, it was a busy noon-hour when we filmed this!


Before I Die I want to know that I've made a difference, will you help me?

No comments:

Post a Comment