Monday, September 14, 2015

Jacob's Song of the Day: "I Bet My Life" by Imagine Dragons

Today's song pick of the day is from one of my favorite bands, Imagine Dragons. I saw them perform this summer, and it was hands-down an amazing concert. I look forward to being able to go see them again one day. Anyway, I picked the song "I Bet My Life", have a listen and read why I chose this one today:


Fighting Crohn's Disease, I often feel like I let people around me down. I've spent family holidays, like Easter, Mother's Day, Family Day, and Christmas either in bed or in the hospital. In fact, rather than opening up Christmas Day presents this year, I asked to go back to bed:



"I Bet My Life", to me, is about overcoming your past; taking whatever is holding you back and letting go of it so that it doesn't continue to stop you from being the best "you" possible. I am LIVING with Crohn's Disease. Each day, I try to accept that this is my "normal" and find new ways to connect with the world. I am still me.

It's hard to make plans when you might have to cancel at the last minute, or worse, you go and have to leave early. For group work at school, I never know if I'm going to be there to see the project through so it's very hard to commit to a role within the group. In Scouting, right now I can't physically do most of the activities that are planned so I worry that I'm going to disappoint the group if they count on me for something. It's not that I don't want to go out and do things, to be a "normal" kid, but these days I just don't have the energy to be able to do that. I want so badly for those days to return. To have a physically "I feel good today" day. I'll admit, it's been awhile since those words came out of my mouth. I don't want to disappoint people. I want people to know that they can count on me to do whatever it is I can do in that moment.

Jacob's Healing Rooms is more than just a nice place to receive various IV therapies. It's a place of hope. Hope to be able to put the past behind us; hope that one day we can overcome this disease; hope that we don't have to feel like we have disappointed anyone because of our health. Please help me make these treatment rooms become inspiring places of hope and healing.


No comments:

Post a Comment