Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Jacob's Song of the Day (10/27/2015): "Fix You" by Coldplay

Today's song is inspired by a love so deep that you'd do anything, give anything to make a difference. It's about being those little lights that guide you through a long, dark tunnel. We all have our tunnels that we go through on our journey, and it's those little lights that make all the difference. Today's song is "Fix You" by Coldplay. Have a listen and read why I chose this song today:


Sometimes everything seems to be going wrong. Living with multiple chronic, incurable illnesses is not easy, especially as a child. I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 3, and since then have added severe refractory Crohn's Disease, severe psoriasis covering 70% of my body (thankfully, it's under control with my medications), ADHD, anxiety, Long QT Syndrome (an electrical heart problem). Then there's the complications - like pneumonia from having no immune system, joint and bone pain, nausea and vomiting, headaches, extreme fatigue. At 11, this is my life.

There is no "fixing me", I'm not broken, I'm sick. But there is something you can do to fix the situation. I'm asking you to stop and think about how you might be able to make a difference in someone else's life. How could you become someone else's "little light" in the tunnel? What if, by smiling and saying hello to a stranger, you helped to save a life? The smallest of actions can make a huge difference in someone's day. It could be the one thing they needed to change their life for the better. I have a lot of "little lights" in my life, most of them are complete strangers. When I need a reminder that I'm not alone, they are there with the words of encouragement. It might seem like such a simple thing, just to offer a smile to a stranger, but try it out. Offer kindness, and see what happens.

I'm going to be a little light and try to bring that support to other sick kids like me. I want to bring hope, light and laughter to the outpatient treatment rooms. I want these treatment rooms to feel like coming out of one of those long, dark tunnels into a place where anything is possible. Where they can feel that they are treating more than just the disease, they are also treating the emotional side of chronic sickness. Please help me make my dream of helping other kids come to reality and consider donating just $1.00 this Giving Tuesday (December 1st, 2015).

*To DONATE to JACOB'S HEALING ROOMS please click HERE*

No comments:

Post a Comment