Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Everything Changes - Jacob's Health Update

It was a completely unexpected call that came out of the blue and announced that it was going to change my life for a very long time. Yesterday the GTube (a feeding tube placed into the stomach) clinic called. Apparently, the doctor has re-evaluated the situation after having had the gastric scopes just done, and decided to change his mind considering that at our last appointment it was said that considering my weight gain they likely wouldn't be doing the procedure. Now here we are 2 months later and the procedure (my 14th sedated procedure in 3 years) is going to be done next week.

I'm scared. This has all seemed to happen so fast that I haven't had time to adjust my thinking yet. When I'm faced with a new situation, I like to twirl the idea around in my head a lot, it's my way of coming to terms with some pretty tough situations. I find that by taking the time to look at the situation from all sides really does help to put things in perspective and accept what's about it to happen. When I first had the idea of my colectomy brought up, I felt the same way - terrified at first but as I twirled it around, I slowly came to terms with the idea.

I'm worried that it's going to hurt, that it's going to leak, that I'll somehow pull on the tube and have it break or worse, come out all together. I'm worried about there being this hole into my stomach, even though I know that it's all going to heal around the tube.

On the flip-side, I'm looking forward to getting this NG Feeding Tube off my face. I've had a tube taped to my cheek since February, so I'm looking forward to seeing my whole face again. I know that I'm going to need long-term nutrition support for my Crohn's Disease, so I'm thankful that I won't always have to worry about changing the NG Tube, which is one of my least favorite "experiences". It's going to give me some life back because I'll be able to get a portable feeding pump, which means that when I need to be hooked to fluids or feed for the majority of the day, I won't have to worry about being attached to my dancing partner, the IV pole. I don't have to worry about missing school because I need to be hospitalized for IV nutrition (TPN). I can go on vacation or daytrips much easier.

While it is scary, it really is something that needs to happen and will hopefully go on to improve my life. Sometimes we just have to take a risk, a leap of faith, in order to get the greatest of rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment