Sunday, October 4, 2015

Jacob's Song of the Day (10/04/2015): "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" by Scissor Sisters

Today's song of the day is meant to show how I'm physically feeling today, "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" by Scissor Sisters. Have a listen and read why I picked this song today:


I'm worried. I've caught a bug/virus out there and now... I'm sick. I certainly don't feel like dancin', I feel like I'd love to sleep though. Why does a simple little bug worry me? Because bugs to me are anything but simple.

Two years ago I caught a "simple" bug. Deja vu, it was right around this time of the year. I was immuno-suppressed at the time, meaning I don't have much of an immune system to fight off the basic bugs, and I still don't. I went to doctor after doctor when week after week I couldn't stop coughing and I was having troubles breathing. I would turn purple during coughing spasms and I thought for sure I had broken all my ribs. The doctors threw the kitchen sink at it - antibiotics, puffers, more steroids. Nothing would work. I went from October until April that year coughing every few minutes throughout the day and night. Finally, something happened on Good Friday. Leave it to holidays for the interesting things.


I had been released from the hospital the day before, after being admitted to get an NG Feeding Tube for my Crohn's (my first time with one). I wasn't feeling good even before being released. They did xrays, discovered I had pneumonia in both lungs, but they decided I had been stable enough to go home. I made it through the night, although I don't remember much. I know that my mom was pretty freaked out when I started turning grey, and I got freaked out when I threw up my NG and a bit of blood. By the time we got to the hospital, my oxygen levels were at 72% and my heart rate was over 200 beats a minute. I was really, really sick. I spent the next month in the hospital hooked to IVs, and the coughing didn't fully stop until July. That's one huge cold!

Now here I am with an NG again, and I'm starting to have flu symptoms. I'm still immuno-supressed. Thankfully, I've had my pneumonia vaccine but I'm still scared that now I'm going to miss even more school since I'm supposed to finally start again this week! More than that, I'm scared of a repeat of 2 years ago.

Could a simple flu shot have prevented this from happening 2 years ago? I had my flu shot, but if other people had had their's? My doctors have said that it's important for anyone in contact me for any length of time to have a flu shot. And trust me, it doesn't hurt. But it might save the life of someone you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment